Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Today, Built One Experience At A Time

Often, students who are graduating high school ask me for advice about which school they should attend, what they ought to study, and so on. While these are important questions for students looking forward to a life full of promise, I have taken the opportunity over the last couple of years to reflect on my own life’s journey.

When I first graduated high school, I could think of nothing but pursuing an education in music. Those around me – who care very much about me – tried to dissuade me from my “impractical” decision. Three years later, out of money one year short of a music degree, I entered the workforce and let music be my avocation rather than my livelihood.

Several years later, married and working at various jobs, I re-entered school and studied computer science – a very “practical” decision as well as a subject I enjoyed. Then, I ran into competing priorities: School plus job, or young and growing family. I chose family over school.

Over the years I worked in the financial services industry and the information technology services industry, served as a commissioned Army officer, and as a volunteer avocation founded a music program for home-educated students that has been serving students for nearly 20 years. I completed degrees in business administration and applied science. What I find is this: I am able to draw upon each experience in some way to add value to whatever I am currently doing. No prior experience is wasted. What makes me unique in my professional life and my personal life is the one-of-a-kind blending of my particular past experiences that gives me a unique perspective on my current role.

Very few of my music friends from my early college days are doing what they thought they would be doing with their lives. Very few of my computer science friends are doing what they envisioned with their lives. Many of these remarkable people are life-long friends, who are who they are today in part because of the experiences we shared back then that continue to add vibrancy to our futures.

My advice to those students is to worry less about planning their entire lives now in minute detail, and to think more about how what they do today will enrich their lives and the lives of those around them tomorrow.



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post. As I reflect back on my life and my college experience, I am able to see how God has used all of my past as well. I attended college, hoping to pursue a degree in nursing. I discovered that I didn't have the determination to finish that degree. I switched majors and got a degree in Social Science just to get out of school.

    Mary

    Shortly after graduating with my bachelor's degree in hand, I landed a job with the State of Michigan, largely because of the degree in Social Science. But all of those nursing courses I took were a help in being a Social Security Disability Examiner. I met the love of my life and left the work force when I had our first son. A few years later, I had the opportunity to return to the workforce doing similar work to the previous job. But after much prayer, we decided that where I needed to be was home with my sons.

    A little later, God impressed on our hearts to homeschool. I have been at it now for many years and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. The blessings from being at home with my family have been numerous. But I can see that all those nursing classes have paid off as I have raised my children and cared for my mother.

    I can honestly say that the things I learned in college and along the way have benefited me in my life today.

    Thanks for sharing, Paul.

    ReplyDelete