Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Little Gold in a Plastic World

I find that we often focus on the "typical" - what some of my music friends would term the "ordinary, B-flat" things in life. We go to school. We go to work. We get involved in this and that. And much of it becomes background, with the occasional bit of foreground that we treasure all the more.

Last night I had a rare opportunity. At least, I assume it's rare; I've not heard others talk about it. My son gave a recital, and several of my good friends from college attended. They came not because of their friendship with me, but because they are genuinely interested in the lives of my children.

Karl and Fran, who are in the middle of a move to Georgia, had their daughter's wedding two weeks ago and lost Fran's sister this week, were there. Karl accompanied my son on several of the pieces he played. Cal and Vicki, who live about an hour away, were also there. Cal spent quite some time talking with my oldest - a flutist - about Celtic flute and about Celtic music in general. Rian and his wife Jill, who live about an hour away from us, came too, along with their children and a couple of extras. My oldest will soon begin teaching their daughter to play flute.

Some time ago Cal, Vicki, Karl, Fran, Rian and I were sitting at the "music table," talking about what we thought our lives would be like, and forging the friendships that would stand the test of time. Friendships that have a foundation in those shared experiences in school, but are not permanently lodged there. Although we have fond memories of those times - and refer to them often - our friendships keep pace with what is currently happening in our lives. Each is an integral part of the fabric of the other's families.

I treasure the fact that they came to my son's recital; that they came not because of me, but because of him. A bit of 24-karet gold in an otherwise plastic world.



3 comments:

  1. How interesting that you reference B-flat as an ordinary, typical life! A few accidentals here and there make life interesting and challenging. An occasional added 6th and/or 9th to life's chord jazzes things up a bit. While the "opening another door" can be similar to the leading pitch in a major 7th chord. You, Paul, and probably your family, do not play in B-flat often, do you? haha

    Congratulations to your son and the accomplishments he has achieved! It would have been a blessing for me to have been able to join "the table" with all of you for this occasion. I was there in spirit.

    Looking forward to stopping by next month.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, I thought we made it clear - we only came for the cake. :)

    Seriously, when one loses people by choice or death, it becomes apparent who the golden nuggets of one's life are. You've stuck by us through thick, thin and "Oh my word! I don't think I'm going to make it!" Your kids are examples for all other students to follow. It was a privilege to be there, besides being fun.
    I agree with Bill, we've all added a little color and schmoltz to each others' lives. We gotta hang together!

    -Fran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps it would be appropriate to sway far from the subject to make a point. My father used to tell me that we go to church simply because we have a close relationship to Christ. We don't go out of obligation, social status, or to appease our conscience - we go because of a relationship that is so treasured, so unique that we do not even think twice about our place to be on Sunday mornings.

    So it is with a true friendship. There are relationships on earth that are so valuable that attendance at a recital is just "assumed" - not out of obligation at all but because you just want to be there. You don't think twice about it and the only time you are upset is when complications cause you to miss the occasion.

    We love the Case's and we are so proud of Ben! Way to go Ben! You have blown us away with your talent and we know that the Lord will truly use you. Keep it up!

    KB

    ReplyDelete